Swim Lesson - (Infant/Parent & Toddler/Parent) - Fall/Winter/Spring
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
To familiarize young children (from ages 6 months to 36 months) to the water and prepare them to learn to swim in the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim courses. It is not designed to teach children to become good swimmers or to survive in the water on their own.
Registration starts - (2 weeks prior to start date)
Session 1 ~ Wednesday - 8/28/19
Session 2 ~ Wednesday - 10/2/19
Session 3 ~ Wednesday - 11/20/19
Session 4 ~ Wednesday - 1/15/20
Session 5 ~ Wednesday - 3/4/20
- No prerequisite skill needed, child must be at least 6 months old to enroll.
- Parent or other caregiver must accompany each child into the water and participate in each class.
- Learn to ask for permission before entering the water. Learn how to enter and exit the water in a safe manner. Feel comfortable in the water.
- Explore submerging to the mouth, nose and eyes completely.
- Explore buoyancy on the front and back position.
- Change body position in the water with support.
- Learn to expect adult supervision when near water.
- Explore submerging in a rhythmic pattern completely.
- Glide on the front and back with assistance.
- Learn basic water safety rules and how to avoid water hazards around the home.
- Learn about the importance of wearing a life jacket and experience wearing one.
- Pre-Registration is required for lessons; sign-up on-line or at the department office (742 Bay Road).