Queensbury Parks and Recreation
Skip to nav
Youth Swim Lessons - Summer 2021 - Term 3
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Scroll down the screen to see all available swim levels
The Queensbury Parks & Recreation Department offers swim lessons year round. Indoor lessons are conducted at the Queensbury Elementary School pool from September to April and summer outdoor swim lessons are held at Gurney Lane Recreation Area late June to mid-August. Youth (ages 3-16)swim lessons are taught the American Red Cross – Pre-School Aquatics and Learn to Swim Levels 1-6 progressions and are taught by department-trained swim lesson instructors and swim aides, overseen by a certified American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor. Class swim lesson participant to instructor ratios meet or exceed American Red Cross recommendations and are overseen by an onsite lifeguard. In addition to youth swim lessons, the department offers Infant/Parent (6mos-18mos.) & Toddler/Parent (18mos-36mos.) classes. These half-hour classes have the parent and child interacting and learning through guided in-water exploration.
** Level 1 - Most of the Gurney Lane staff is vaccinated. We are giving the parents of level 1 the option of accompanying their child in the water, to be the "hands on support".
**Levels 5 & 6 are a 1/2 class
- How NYS COVID-19 changes effect summer program and facility operations:
- - Following the most recent NYS COVID-19 guidance (6/15/21), we have eliminated all previously required protocols such as social distancing; mask wearing (still suggested for those that are unvaccinated), health screenings, capacity restrictions, and sanitizing requirements.
- - All programs being held at Queensbury School, including Q-Club will follow the protocols established by the district. Additional updates will be shared PRIOR to the start of summer programs.
- Department Office: 518-761-8216
- Gurney Lane: 518-745-4481
- Inclement Weather: Lessons will be taught in the rain. If thunder/lightening is heard or seen we will conduct "Safety Day" activities. I.E. Swimming safety videos, poster boards, dryland PFD use, aquatic coloring sheets