Youth MAD Science - WORKSHOPS - Summer 2021
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
We are excited to welcome back and partner with Mad Science of the Capital District to offer the following exceptional, unique, and hands-on science programs!
All programs and camps are curriculum-correlated and meet S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) objectives. They make it their mission to spark imaginative learning! Mad Science is the leading science enrichment provider for children. These programs will encourage team-building as we work collaboratively to solve real-world S.T.E.M./S.T.E.A.M. problems!
All supplies are included.
for the 2021-2022 school year
1) Masking Requirements:
Participating in outdoor activities will not require use of a mask. When indoors, participants will be required to wear a mask, and maintain appropriate distance from others. Frequent indoor mask breaks will be held.
Frequent hand washing and sanitizing will be encouraged by staff.
Super Power Sources - 1
- How do we make electricity?
- Children explore renewable and non renewable resources for power generation. They use mechanical force to turn on fans, and find out what makes a battery work.
- The Crank’s Shine will give children a chance to generate light!
Walloping Weather - 2
- Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow will prevent us from enjoying our hands-on exploration of the science of meteorology!
- Discover how tornadoes and thunderstorms form, and how powerful they can be!
- Equipped with the tornado in a pocket they can simulate a vortex!
Sonic Sounds - 3
- Surf sonic sound waves in this “off-beat” program.
- Music and all sorts of merry sounds engage children in sound experiments and live demonstrations showing the properties and transmission of sound waves.
- Children listen to sounds made with solid materials — from plastic, to metal, to string.
- Ordinary objects like handheld horns, metal screws, wooden ratchets and beads transform into a story sound-effect symphony.
- Electronic devices reveal frequency when a pitch-changing machine alters the children’s voices to gruff monsters or happy chipmunks.
Atmosphere & Beyond - 4
- Join us as we venture out on a mission to uncover the properties of the air around us and explore the atmospheres of Earth and those of planets beyond.
- Accept the challenge to keep an Aquanaut dry during an underwater walk.
- Take part in a demonstration to discover how scientists find out about exoplanets.
Fantastic Fliers - 5
- This courses introduces students to the basics of flight and aerodynamics.
- During this course children will explore the four forces behind aerodynamics which include lift, thrust, gravity, and drag.
- In addition the students will get to test out their own Delta Dart make-shift planes in order to learn more about the various plane designs and how they relate to the four forces.
- Towards the end of the course, students will get the chance to build a Sky Hawk Foam Plane to take home.
Life in the Sea - 6
- The ocean holds many mysteries.
- Children learn about its diverse life forms — from plankton to whales! They discover underwater habitats, and learn how humans can help protect ocean life.
- The Anaglyph Sea Puzzle lets children dive in and take the ocean home.