Youth Swim Lesson - Infant/Parent & Toddler/Parent - Summer 2021
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
To familiarize young children (from ages 6 months to 36 months) to the water and prepare them to learn to swim in the American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim courses. It is not designed to teach children to become good swimmers or to survive in the water on their own.
Resident Registration starts: 6/7/21 @ 8:00 am
Non-Resident Registration starts: 6/14/21 @ 8:00 am
1) Masking Requirements:
Participating in outdoor activities will not require use of a mask. When indoors, participants will be required to wear a mask, and maintain appropriate distance from others. Frequent indoor mask breaks will be held.
Frequent hand washing and sanitizing will be encouraged by staff.
- No prerequisite skill needed, child must be at least 6 months old to enroll.
- Parent or other caregiver must accompany each child into the water and participate in each class.
- Learn to ask for permission before entering the water. Learn how to enter and exit the water in a safe manner. Feel comfortable in the water.
- Explore submerging to the mouth, nose and eyes completely.
- Explore buoyancy on the front and back position.
- Change body position in the water with support.
- Learn to expect adult supervision when near water.
- Explore submerging in a rhythmic pattern completely.
- Glide on the front and back with assistance.
- Learn basic water safety rules and how to avoid water hazards around the home.
- Learn about the importance of wearing a life jacket and experience wearing one.
- Pre-Registration is required for lessons; sign-up on-line or at the department office (742 Bay Road).